Responsibility: A detachable burden easily shifted to the shoulders of God, Fate, Fortune, Luck or one's neighbor. ~Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
Highlights of the Albany Swamp's Finger Pointing Sideshow on Monday and Tuesday this week. "Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing [done]"
1. Governor Paterson, playing CYU or don't blame me next year when I'm gone, called the legislature into session on Monday to deal with a deficit in this year's budget which he estimates is $315 million.
2. Senator Sampson, playing CYU punts the budget cuts till January when the Republicans take over the NY Senate.
3. Comptroller, DiNapoli, claiming Paterson is underestimating the deficit for this year by a factor of three, or merely a billion dollars, while he forgets to include all the other factors such as his 7.5% Safe Return on pension investments.
4. Sheldon Silver dropping the ball in the Assembly hoping that after January, the Republican Senate can be blamed.
5. Enter, Cuomo with his final soliloquy after meeting Assembly Democrats [saying],“For them to come back and do nothing is very distressing,”
Show over; applaud please. Pretty please
6. With Public Finger Pointing sideshow ended, Cuomo and the other play actors from the sideshow's cast go back to Cuomo's committees, where, "Nearly half of the people on Cuomo's transition team and economic advisory council either are registered lobbyists themselves or work for organizations that lobby New York's state government and Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, Democratic Leader John Sampson, Republican Senate Leader Dean Skelos are all on Cuomo's committees.
Great show, Andrew, Silver and Sampson, too bad that:
"Meetings are a symptom of bad organization. The fewer meetings the better" - Peter F. Drucker"
Now with the sideshow ended, let's look to California for New York's next step in the new year. "California is following the long tradition of bankrupt states turning to IOUs when the capital market looks less than inviting."
Here's a sample of the proposed new $3 NY Script I.O.U. to be nicknamed "the Cuomo" NY State can print plenty of these to give to you.
The third world government of New York will offer an official exchange rate of one Cuomo = 3 U.S. Dollars. Then, we can look to Illinois where, "Legislators left the capital this month without deciding how to pay 26 percent of the state budget. And every major rating agency has downgraded the state." See blog index above for details of NY budget debacle.
Welcome to the Brave New New York World: